Pages

Saturday, October 08, 2011

Monster High Fearleading Cosplay - Frankie Stein

The final costume of the Monster High cosplay trio that I designed was my own character Frankie Stein :) As with Draculaura and Deuce Gorgon's costumes, I designed mine from scratch, hand screening all the trims, body coverings and using a vector rendering of the MH logo I'd drawn for the chest. I had never modified a wig before this project so that was a HUGE accomplishment. I'm so happy with it I think I'll likely do a post just to show it close-up :) I made it stable enough that it hasn't changed since I first put it on! This costume between the uniform, arm and leg coverings, and the f/x makeup was a huge amount of work and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!
Photo Credit: TM 2011 SMASHWORKS. All Rights Reserved. 
Photo Credit: TM 2011 SMASHWORKS. All Rights Reserved. 
I made the earrings from scratch using my long-lost childhood sculpting skills with Fimo/Sculpty and created Frankie's skull earrings. My ears are stretched larger than a normal gauge plus a normal ear piercing wouldn't be able to handle the weight of these so I opted for the clip-on earring backs. They were nearly impossible to find in the city! I could not believe the amount of store employees that gave me brain dead stares when I asked if they carried them. Who would have known they were so rare!
Photo Credit: TM 2011 SMASHWORKS. All Rights Reserved. 
The f/x makeup was done by myself. I made the cheek stitches from scratch, actually sewing through the semi-completed prosthetic while it was on my face. It turned out great! I loved being able to incorporate some authentic elements into something like this.
Photo Credit: TM 2011 SMASHWORKS. All Rights Reserved. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, super cute costume!!! I don't have kids but I think those Monster High dolls are so fun! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work!! I have to make a dress for my little daughter and I have some doubts. I'd like to ask if you used paper to transfer the logo in to the chest and if the white and pink zig zag is also fabric.

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic work. I have to make a dress for my little daughter and I have some doubts. I'd like to ask if you used paper to transfer the logo and if the white and pink zig zag fabric is also fabric, because it's very shiny.

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete